Odd Future was formed in 2007 in Los Angeles. The full name is Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All, which reflects the harsh and deep rap performed by the group.
The band united young rappers of California, who wanted to talk about real life on the streets and become a good contrast to the mainstream pop culture. The initial band lineup included.
- Tyler The Creator. Real name Tyler Gregory Okonma. He was born in 1991 in California. Tyler had a talent for drawing and singing since childhood. He learned how to play the keyboards at 14.
- Hodgy Beats. Real name Gerard Long. He was born in 1990 in Trenton, New Jersey. In 1999, the rapper moved to Pasadena. He plays the keyboards.
- Left Brain. Real name Byron Terner. He was born in 1999 in California. Vocalist.
- Pyramid Vritra. Real name Hal Donell Williams, Jr. He was born in 1991 in Atlanta. The rapper plays keyboards and drums.
- Matt Martians. He was born in 1988 in Los Angeles. Vocalist.
- Jasper Dolphin. Real Davon Wilson. He was born in 1990 in Atlanta. Vocalist.
- Syd tha Kyd. Real name Sydney Loren Bennett. She was born in 1992 in Los Angeles. At 14, Syd created a small studio in her home where she learned to be a DJ and a sound director.
- Taco (Syd’s brother). Real name Travis Bennet. He was born in 1994 in LA. He is a DJ and a cameraman.
- Casey Veggies. Real name Casey Jones. He was born in 1993 in Los Angeles. At 14, the rapper released his own album Customized Greatly Vol. 1.
The group recorded its first songs in Syd and Taco’s house. They used a regular web camera microphone. On 16 November 2008, the rappers presented their first mixtape, The Odd Future Tape. It was 61 minute long and featured 19 tracks. The critics gave high scores to the mixtape but noted that its success was mostly achieved by Tyler. After the album came out, Casey Jones left the group.
In 2009 and 2010, other members joined Odd Future:
- Earl Sweatshirt. Real name Thebe Neruda Kgositsil. He was born in 1994 in Chicago. The artist attended school in LA. He is a keyboard player.
- Domo Genesis. Real name Dominique Marquis Cole. He was born in 1991 in California. The rapper is a DJ and a vocalist.
- Mike G. Real name Michael Griffin. He was born in 1990. A vocalist.
- Frank Ocean. Real name Christopher Lonny Edwin Breaux. He was born in 1987 in Long Beach and then moved to New Orleans.
In November 2010, the group gave concerts in London and New York. Odd Future’s popularity was so high that the tickets were being sold out in hours. Fans especially noted the rappers’ manner to involve the public in the performance. The same year, the artists released their second album, Radical.
In April 2011, the group founded its own label, Odd Future Records. Between August and September, the musicians performed on Golf Wang Tour 2011. In October, they presented a new album, 12 Odd Future Songs, which featured old hits and new singles. Regardless of the telling name of the album, in reality, it featured 13 tracks and lasted 48 minutes.
In 2012, the artists worked hard on their next album. It took them two weeks of work in LA to finish The OF Tape Vol. 2, which contained 18 songs and lasted 63 minutes. In March, the album was released. More than 40,000 copies were sold in the first week. The LP topped Top Rap Albums, Top R & B / Hip-Hop Albums, and Top Independent Albums Charts. The young fans enjoyed the songs with straightforward yet ironic lyrics the most.
Each member of Odd Future has attempted to have a solo career, and the majority succeeded. In 2015, the group suddenly stopped making the headlines. However, the fans couldn’t believe that the group disbanded. Meanwhile, organizers tried to book Odd Future for private events.
In 2017, the rappers confirmed that they were getting back together. In 2018, they arranged a reunion concert in one of the LA clubs.